What ? You still don’t know what artificial intelligence is. No worries , today i will take you through on a journey of artificial intelligence.
What is Artificial Intelligence ?
The term artificial intelligence was coined in 1956, but AI has become more popular today thanks to increased data volumes, advanced algorithms, and improvements in computing power and storage.This early work paved the way for the automation and formal reasoning that we see in computers today, including decision support systems and smart search systems that can be designed to complement and augment human abilities.
According to the father of Artificial Intelligence, John McCarthy, it is “The science and engineering of making intelligent machines, especially intelligent computer programs”.
Artificial intelligence (AI) is an area of computer science that emphasizes the creation of intelligent machines that work and react like humans. AI is accomplished by studying how human brain thinks, and how humans learn, decide, and work while trying to solve a problem, and then using the outcomes of this study as a basis of developing intelligent software and systems.
Goals Of Artificial Intelligence :
The primary goals of AI include deduction and reasoning, knowledge representation,planning, natural language processing (NLP), learning, perception, and the ability to manipulate and move objects. Long-term goals of AI research include achieving Creativity, Social Intelligence, and General (human level) Intelligence.
Artificial Intelligence Applications :
- Healthcare : Artificial Intelligence is instrumental in improving patient outcomes and reducing costs. Companies are applying machine learning to make better and faster diagnoses than humans. AI applications include chatbots, a computer program used online to answer questions and assist customers, to help schedule follow-up appointments or aiding patients through the billing process, and virtual health assistants that provide basic medical feedback.
- Gaming : AI plays crucial role in strategic games such as chess, poker, tic-tac-toe, etc., where machine can think of large number of possible positions based on heuristic knowledge.
- Education : Artificial Intelligence can automate grading, giving educators more time. AI can assess students and adapt to their needs, helping them work at their own pace. AI tutors can provide additional support to students, ensuring they stay on track. AI could change where and how students learn, perhaps even replacing some teachers.
- Manufacturing : This is an area that has been at the forefront of incorporating robots into the workflow. Industrial robots used to perform single tasks and were separated from human workers, but as the technology advanced that changed.
- Business : Robotic process automation is being applied to highly repetitive tasks normally performed by humans. Machine learning algorithms are being integrated into analytics and CRM platforms to uncover information on how to better serve customers. Automation of job positions has also become a talking point among academics and IT consultancies such as Gartner and Forrester.
- Intelligent Robots : Robots are able to perform the tasks given by a human. They have sensors to detect physical data from the real world such as light, heat, temperature, movement, sound, bump, and pressure. They have efficient processors, multiple sensors and huge memory, to exhibit intelligence. In addition, they are capable of learning from their mistakes and they can adapt to the new environment.
- Natural Language Processing : NLP is the processing of human — and not computer — language by a computer program. It is possible to interact with the computer that understands natural language spoken by humans. One of the older and best known examples of NLP is spam detection, which looks at the subject line and the text of an email and decides if it’s junk. Current approaches to NLP are based on machine learning. NLP tasks include text translation, sentiment analysis and speech recognition.
- Vision Systems : These systems understand, interpret, and comprehend visual input on the computer. For example, A spying aeroplane takes photographs, which are used to figure out spatial information or map of the areas. Doctors use clinical expert system to diagnose the patient. Police use computer software that can recognize the face of criminal with the stored portrait made by forensic artist.
AI has heavily influenced different sectors that we may not recognize. Ray Kurzweil says “Many thousands of AI applications are deeply embedded in the infrastructure of every industry.”
John McCarthy, one of the founders of AI, once said that “as soon as it works, no one calls it AI anymore.”